Category Archives: Fabrics

Sewing with stretch: Attempt 2

I’ve seen a lot of posts this past week from sewing bloggers reviewing their 2013 makes, highlighting the good, the bad and the ugly and sharing their new year resolutions with the world. This is easy for me. This year I haven’t made enough for such a list, which leaves me with one resolution: Sew more!

After my Christmas dress success I want to use this same pattern and my last few days off work making a couple of dresses to introduce to my January wardrobe. I’ve started with a very stretchy fabric I bought at New Fabric Shop in Walthamstow… I think this would be called an Interlock knit?

Bought for a mere £1 a meter I should have bought a lot more. This fabric came folded in half and on a bolt. Try as I might I can’t get the marks of the edges out of the fabric:

stretch

I cut open the fabric on the worst edge to open flat, but I haven’t got enough to miss out the second line altogether. I’m hoping with this type of fabric pattern it won’t be too noticeable?! I’ve also realised I don’t have enough for full sleeves so I’ll be adapting the look to include short ones instead. And one other challenge so far… How to work with these rolling edges?!

20140103-091257.jpg

Advertisements

2 Comments

Filed under Dress, Fabrics, Homemade, sewing

A Fabric Footstool

Whilst I haven’t been blogging, I have been sewing. I finished my version of the New Look 6050, finally got round to making Tilly’s Mathilde blouse (unexpectedly met Tilly herself… became star-struck), experienced sewing with jersey for the first time, on my new overlocker (love, love, love this birthday present. Thank you, Tom). But right now, I’m sharing a make that didn’t involve sewing. But it does involve fabric, so it kinda counts…

I’ve wanted a big footstool / tablestool for our living room for a long time but I couldn’t find one that I liked in our price range.  So I decided I would make one! I roped my Dad into helping me with the wooden base, and he did a great job with some legs I bought on ebay. He created the exact size I  was after.

I spent some time staining the legs with some varnish and fixed a piece of foam to the top with some adhesive spray. I covered it with a layer of wadding. And then it stayed like that. For a long time! It was ugly in our living room, but we sort of got used to it.

footstool 1

I was waiting to find the right fabric, and then I spotted a grey/yellow roll in The New Fabric shop in Walthamstow market which was great for my colour scheme for the room. So I set to work… and it started to look like this:

footstool 3

And then the project stalled again! This fabric has a bit of a stretch to it. Which meant if anyone sat on it or put their feet on it, it started going baggy. And that wasn’t the look I was going for.

So a few weeks later I went to Ray Stitch in Islington and found some gorgeous cotton fabric. I cut it out with about an inch to turn on each edge for a nice finish. Me and Tom fixed it down over the skin wadding using tacks and finished it with a nail/stud strip that I bought from ebay. This was so easy to add and creates a really nice finish!

footstool 5

I got some great guidance from J A Milton’s video and I’m really happy with the result! Its exactly what I was after.

final footstool

Leave a comment

Filed under Fabrics, Homemade, Uncategorized

Summer make #2: The real thing

Image

Ta-da! The finished-ish dress.

My last post introduced the toile of my Cynthia Rowley pattern. I told you how I had to make the bodice a bit bigger so I could breathe? Well I just added 0.5cm to each side seam which was an easy adjustment because I just had to remember to sew a 1cm seam allowance and not 1.5 as per usual for the bodice, lining and interlining. I had to repeat it to myself A LOT to remember, but success! I did it and it fits a lot better.
This version also has the Sewaholic Cambie skirt rather than the original gathered skirt and I like it a lot. I decided to leave the pockets out of this version. I also lined the skirt so this fabric doesn’t become static and stick to my legs but this has happened in the bottom picture (more pressing needed?!)
Overall I’m pleased, but I’ve come across that problem again. The zip looks all kinds of crinkled?? Sew Busy Lizzy left me a comment on a previous make suggesting using strips of silk organza to interface the seam. Anyone done this before? How do I do it? Sew Busy Lizzy, are you there?! I need some guidance. I wonder if this problem might be caused by me sewing the zip one to seam allowance and then sewing it properly with the zipper foot… Would that cause a crinkle? It must be something I’m doing because this is turning into a regular occurrence, and it’s putting me off wearing these outside.
I also need to sew the straps down, add a hook and eye to the top and work on the bodice -it looks baggy here but it needs to be pulled down a bit (the lining is fine, just the main fabric )
Anyway, my next make is not including a zip. I’m trying a shirred summer dress. Two rectangles,  two straps and shirring elastic. What could go wrong? I’ll let you know…

6 Comments

Filed under Clothes, Fabrics, sewing

Fabulous Fabrics

Fabulous Fabrics

Even though I have a bundle of fabrics sitting upstairs nothing’s been inspiring me lately. So I took a trip to Walthamstow market and stocked up… and I might have got a bit carried away.

I took my step mum with me and I wish I’d got a photo of us on our way back. We bought so much! It was almost like a normal shopping trip, but where everything fits. In my head each of these fabrics will be the perfect fitting, perfect looking dress or top or skirt in the right colour AND print and is as good as, no, better, than anything I would buy in a shop!

Now if only that were true…

 

Leave a comment

February 27, 2013 · 1:40 pm